Saturday 19 May 2007

Alain Elkann

Born in 1950 in New York from a French father and an Italian mother, Alain Elkann married and divorced Margherita Agnelli (daughter of). He's a well known journalist in Italy, I am told, I don't know, I've lived in England for too long. I discovered him because he was next to Umberto Eco on the library shelf. Elkann was a pupil of Moravia's and wrote his biography - the English translation is entitled Life of Moravia. I read in Italian Piazza Carignano, about a young author who lives between London, New York and Turin. Together with his new girlfriend, a French dancer, he discovers letters and diaries of a deceased Uncle who was a Jewish fascist. The theme of Jewish culture and religion is very dear to Elkann and he treats it from unusual and interesting angles. There's another novel of his translated into English, Misguided Lives. I haven't read it yet.

1 comment:

sage said...

my comment was eaten! I don't know of this author--I got a feeling I can learn a lot about new books (new to me anyway) from you. Thanks for the review, it sounds interesing--especially exploring the jewish and facist links